In mainland Portugal, Pousadas de Juventude (Youth Hostels) are managed by Movijovem - mobilidade juvenil, CIPRL. The management of some of the Pousadas de Juventude are granted to third parties, either from the public or private sectors.
Check the updated rules applied during COVID-19 on the number 22.
1. Anyone, regardless of age, can use Youth Hostels.
2. The services are provided at the Youth Hostels by means of a sale or a reservation, and the holder must, alternatively, have a Pousadas de Juventude / Hostelling International Card or a Youth Card E.Y.C. (European Youth Card). Note: Information on purchase conditions and benefits for each card can be requested at any service point.
3. Accommodation at any Youth Hostel requires the presentation of a legal guest identification document, whose information regarding personal data is protected in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation - (EU) 2016/679.
4. Any child or young person under 16 (sixteen) years old, even if they hold their own Pousadas de Juventude / Hostelling International Card or Youth Card E.Y.C. must be accompanied by an adult responsible for her/him or have an authorization issued for that purpose.
5. According to the provisions of Law no. 63/2017, of 3 August, smoking is not permitted - including cigarettes without combustion and electronic cigarettes, pursuant to paragraph 3, of article 4 of the said law - in the enclosed spaces of Pousadas de Juventude. Likewise, eating or drinking in multiple rooms is also not allowed.
6. It is not allowed having social celebration or parties within the area of the Youth Hostel otherwise previously authorized in written by a responsible person of the Youth Hostel.
7. With the exception of pet friendly Pousadas de Juventude, pets are not allowed to enter or stay on the premises, except for assistant dogs.
8. Guests are individually responsible for any damages they cause, assuming the inherent responsibilities.
9. When available, the Common Kitchen and Laundry allow individual guests to prepare light meals and wash clothes, according to specific rules of the Youth Hostel.
10. The occupancy of double rooms allows, at most, the placement of an extra bed or cot, which may include additional costs to the reservation.
11. Guests staying in double, family or apartment rooms are provided with bath and face towels.
12. The change of bed linen and towels is ensured, every three days, by the cleaning service, which can be changed, by decision of the Youth Hostel, due to extraordinary circumstances.
13. Movijovem as manager body of Youth Hostels is not responsible for any missing objects of the guests in the accommodation.
14. Personal objects that are left in the rooms, will be removed after moving or check-out, and can be collected at the reception, within 30 days, by anyone who proves to be its legitimate owner.
15. The reservation of the “bed” service, when available, gives the purchaser the right to use a bed in a multiple room. The multiple room is shared with other guests, who may or may not belong to the same group, and the assignation of the "bed" is made by the Youth Hostel.
16. The reservation of the “private room” service gives the purchaser the right to use the respective room in privacy, regardless of the number of beds it occupies, up to the maximum of existing beds.
17. Booking double rooms or apartments for adults accompanied by children requires the reservation of an “extra bed” free of charge or with a 50% reduction in room rate when the child is between 13 and 16 years old, on the check-out date. Both cases are subject to the availability of resources at the Youth Hostel.
18. The purchase of the “extra bed” service gives the customer the right to use an extra bed that allows to increase the basic accommodation capacity of a double room or apartment.
19. The reservation policy for Pousadas de Juventude (confirmation, alteration, cancellation and refunds) gives any individual (aged 16 or over) or collective person the possibility to purchase accommodation and other services upon reservation, or others, in the following terms:
1. Individual reservations:
a) The confirmation of the reservations is subject to payment of services, until the deadline shown in the reservation information.
b) The customer can choose between refundable and non-refundable rates, when available.
c) When refundable rates are applied:
i. Total or partial cancellation after the free cancellation period indicated in the reservation does not entitle the guest to any refund.
ii. Refunds are made by bank transfer or other method to be agreed with the guest.
d) In the case of the application of non-refundable rates, any change or cancellation of services (total or partial) implies the total loss of the amount paid.
2. Group reservations:
a) Group reservations are those that include 10 or more guests.
b) The confirmation of the reservation is subjet to the payment of a partial amount of the reservation, agreed between parties, until the deadline shown in the reservation information.
c) Total or partial cancellations do not entitle the guest or client to any refund.
d) No free changes are allowed with less than 15 days from the check-in date (including).
20. Special marketing programs published online at https://pousadasjuventude.pt/pt/programas/
are not applicable to individual reservations and must be reserved through the Reservation Centre.
21. The operating hours of Pousadas de Juventude are:
a) Check In: from 6:00 pm to 12:00 am (after this time, the service is provided by the Night Receptionist and the formal check-in may take place during the reception's operating period, from 8:00 am).
b) Check Out: until 12:00.
c) Cleaning: 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm (during this period, access to the rooms may be conditioned).
d) Silence: 12:00 am to 8:00 am.
a) Day: 9 am to midnight.
b) Morning: 9am to 1pm.
c) Afternoon: 2 pm to 6 pm.
d) Night: 8:00 pm to midnight.
a) Breakfast: from 8:30 am to 10:00 am.
b) Lunch: from 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm.
c) Dinner: from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm.
Note: The meal service schedules may change according to the time of the year and characteristics of each Youth Hostel.
The schedules and services mentioned here may change without notice.
22. Use of Pousadas de Juventude / Youth Hostels during the outbreak of the new coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2), which causes Covid-19 disease:
Pousadas de Juventude implemented measures to prevent and minimize the risk of spread, supported by the guidelines of the National Health Authority (Direção Geral de Saúde – DGS).
Guest are also expected to fulfill their important role in individual and collective health safety.
At all times, basic precautions for prevention and control must be observed, according to the guidelines issued by DGS and WHO (World Health Organization), including the following general procedures:
Hands hygiene: Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and water.
Respiratory hygiene: cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately and wash your hands.
Social behavior: avoid close contact, handshakes, kisses, face-to-face meetings and sharing of food, utensils, glasses and towels. Maintain at all times the recommended physical distance from other guests and staff.
For the safety of the guests and staff at the Youth Hostels, the following mandatory measures are applied:
a) The temperature of each guest is checked at the entrance, without keeping any register or other data.
b) Guests with a temperature of 38⁰ or higher will be immediately directed to the defined isolation room and the necessary assistance will be provided (preferably by telephone). A contact will be established with the National Health Service (SNS – Serviço Nacional de Saúde), keeping vigilance regarding cough symptoms and breathing difficulties of guests.
c) The use of a mask is mandatory when circulating in common spaces.
d) Guests should pay attention to cough symptoms and breathing difficulties.
e) The recommended safety distance must be respected. There are boundaries and circulation flows in the common areas of the facilities, which must be respected by everyone.
Informative posters about COVID-19 prevention, control and surveillance procedures will be posted by the Hostel, which you should always keep in mind. This information will also be available online through the link provided by QR Code.
Housekeeping procedures: bed linen will be changed only on check-out or weekly if a stay is higher than 7 nights. All touchable room surfaces and floors are cleaned daily. Public spaces have an adapted cleaning procedure including cleaning and disinfection several times a day.
Breakfast: this meal will be taken preferably on a take-away basis, served in pre-prepared units with adapted content. However, it can be taken in the dining room, by previously scheduled shifts at check-in and limited to the availability of authorized seats.
Swimming pools: due to issues related to the outbreak of the new coronavirus, it may be necessary to close the swimming pool at any time without notice, which cannot be accepted as a reason for canceling a reservation or give the right to any refund whatsoever.
Public bathrooms: guests must follow the rules indicated for using the public bathrooms, namely the exclusive use of the shower cabin assigned to their room and respect for the maximum number of users at the same time.
The refusal to comply with any of these measures, as well as the adoption of behaviors that put other guests and/or workers at the Youth Hostels at risk, will lead to an immediate ban on the guest from using the hostel, without the right of a refund.